The iconic high-end retailer Barneys has filed for bankruptcy. Veuer’s Maria Mercedes Galuppo has more. Buzz60
Barneys New York has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and will close 15 of its 22 stores, the luxury retailer announced early Tuesday
Locations that will be shuttered include Barneys New York locations in Chicago, Las Vegas and Seattle, five small concept stores and seven Barneys Warehouse stores, the company statement said.
Five flagship locations are expected to stay open including, two New York locations (Madison Avenue and Downtown New York City), two in California (Beverly Hills and San Francisco) and the Boston store at Copley Place.
Two Barneys Warehouse locations – an outlet in Central Valley, New York, and one in Livermore, California – will also remain open and company websites, Barneys.com and BarneysWarehouse.com “will continue serving our customers without disruption,” the statement said.
Perkins & Marie Callender’s bankruptcy: Restaurant chain filed for bankruptcy after closing 29 locations
More store closings coming: An estimated 12,000 shops could close by the end of 2019
“For more than 90 years, Barneys New York has been an iconic luxury specialty retailer, renowned for its edit, strong point of view, creativity and representation of the world’s best designers and brands,” said Daniella Vitale, Barneys CEO and president, in the statement. “Like many in our industry, Barneys New York’s financial position has been dramatically impacted by the challenging retail environment and rent structures that are excessively high relative to market demand.”
The statement said Barneys secured “$75 million in new capital to facilitate a going concern sale process” and “voluntarily filed for reorganization under Chapter 11” in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
“Pursuing a sale under the Court’s supervision provides the quickest and most efficient means of maximizing value while ensuring we continue serving both new and loyal customers,” Vitale said in the statement.
The company said it “intends to use the court-supervised process to review store leases to best optimize” its operations.
Barneys stores closing
- Cabazon: 48650 Seminole Drive, Desert Hills Premium Outlets
- Camarillo: 850 East Ventura Blvd., Camarillo Premium Outlets
- Carlsbad: 5620 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad Premium Outlets
- Glendale: 869 Americana Way, The Americana at Brand
- Los Angeles: 189 The Grove Drive
- Santa Monica: 395 Santa Monica Place
- Sunrise: 1840 Sawgrass Mills Circle, Sawgrass Mills
- Waipahu: 94-790 Lumiaina St., Waikele Premium Outlets
- Chicago: 15 East Oak St.
- Rosemont: 5220 Fashion Outlets Way, Fashion Outlets of Chicago
- Las Vegas: 3327 Las Vegas Boulevard South
- New York: 194 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn
- Riverhead: 200 Tanger Mall Drive, Tanger Outlets
- Philadelphia: 1811 Walnut St.
- Seattle: 600 Pine St.
Barneys stores staying open
- Beverly Hills: 9570 Wilshire Blvd.
- San Francisco: 77 O’Farrell St.
- Livermore: 2626 Livermore Outlets Drive, San Francisco Premium Outlets
- Boston: 100 Huntington Ave., Copley Place
- New York: 660 Madison Ave.
- New York: 101 7th Ave., Downtown
- Central Valley: 240 Hudson Valley District, Woodbury Common Premium Outlets
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/06/barneys-new-york-bankruptcy-luxury-retailer-closing-15-stores/1930050001/