A Florida woman has said she narrowly escaped death after a plane’s fuel cap seemingly fell from the sky and plunged into the pool at her Winter Garden home on Thursday afternoon.
Dara Hackett was sitting on her patio with a friend when she heard a noise ‘worse than a gunshot’ and sniffed something that ‘smells like gas’.
She then discovered the round object about 8 inches in diameter lying in her pool at the Belle Mead subdivision community of new homes about 20 miles from Downtown Orlando.
Scroll down for video
Dara Hackett was sitting on her patio in Winter Garden with a friend when she heard a noise ‘worse than a gunshot’ on Thursday afternoon
The label on the object read ‘fuel servicing’, prompting her to wonder where it came from
‘If that would’ve been two feet over. I would’ve been done,’ Hackett exclaimed to News 6.
Hackett said she was alerted when she heard: ‘Like a very, very, very loud bang — a ting noise. Then, you heard it hit the pool and splash.’
Upon further inspection is was evident the object sliced through a screen covering the pool.
Hackett sniffed something that ‘smells like gas’ after the loud bang and splash
She believes an object dropped from sky and sliced through screen over pool
The label on the object read ‘fuel servicing’, prompting her to wonder where it came from.
She called police after the incident.
News 6 reported it appeared to be a ‘commercial aircraft grade fuel cap’.
The Federal Aviation Administration told News 6 it planned on contacting Hackett to find out more information.
However they stated there were no emergency landings reported at Tampa International Airport or Orlando International Airport on Thursday.
Hackett added about her shock: ‘That could have killed me, it could have killed my friend, it could have killed my dog.’
The FAA stated there were no emergency landings reported at nearby Florida airports on Thursday and planned on contacting Hackett for more information about the ‘commercial aircraft grade fuel cap’