The best and worst US airports for 2019 have been revealed – and it’s San Diego International in the number one spot.
A new study ranks 50 of the busiest hubs in America, taking into account the following factors – airport amenities, how quickly the airport can be reached and the punctuality of departures and arrivals.
Coming second in the list is Phoenix Sky Harbor International – which was top last year – with Chicago Midway International rooted at the bottom.
The best airport for 2019 in America is San Diego International, pictured, according to The Points Guy
Coming second in the list is Phoenix Sky Harbor International in Arizona
The ranking has been created by aviation website The Points Guy, which based its findings on its staff experiences, reader feedback and statistics from the US Department of Transportation.
The Points Guy explained that San Diego International comes out on top as it has a ‘healthy dose of amenities, a superior record of on-time flights and an incredibly convenient location’.
The aviation website explained that Phoenix’s slip to second is due to its ‘runway closing from early January to late February in 2018’.
In third place is Portland Oregon International Airport followed by Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International – one of the busiest hubs in the US – in fourth.
Sacramento International Airport is in fifth place and sixth place is occupied by Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
The ranking has been created by aviation website The Points Guy. In third place is Portland Oregon International Airport
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International – one of the busiest hubs in the US – is placed fourth
The rest of the top 10 is made up of San Francisco International (seventh), Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (eighth), Indianapolis International Airport (ninth) and John Wayne Airport, Orange County, California (10th).
At the other end of the ranking, bottom-placed Chicago-Midway was criticised for only having one lounge, ‘a relatively bare-bones smattering of restaurants and other services despite a $75 million renovation’.
The Points Guy also claims that it is not convenient to get to from downtown Chicago, despite its location within the city.
Other airports faring badly include Orlando International (49th), Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International (48th), Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (47th) and South West Florida International (46th).
Chicago-Midway comes bottom of the ranking for having only one lounge and ‘a relatively bare-bones smattering of restaurants’
As well as creating an overall ranking, The Points Guy also came up with three separate top-five lists for airport amenities, commuting and on-time performance.
For amenities, JFK in New York is top followed by Dallas Fort Worth, San Francisco International, Newark Liberty and LAX.
San Diego International tops the list for commuting. It’s followed by Phoenix Sky Harbor, Charlotte Douglas International, Ronald Reagan Washington and Sacramento International.
In terms of on-time flights, Portland International comes top followed by Honolulu International, Seattle-Tacoma International, Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International and Salt Lake City International.
A spokesperson for Chicago Midway said: ‘The Points Guy seems to be missing the point. Midway International Airport is routinely ranked highly among airports of comparable size in customer satisfaction, and travelers enjoy its convenience. With that convenience comes limitations: namely that airport rests on one square mile in the middle of a densely-populated residential neighborhood with no room to grow.
‘That hasn’t stopped the City from making critical investments, including the $400million Midway Modernization Program, which broke ground in 2017 and will create more than 3,600 jobs this year alone. The MMP is totally re-imagining the concessions experience at Midway, bringing more than 70 new concessions and amenities online to enhance the traveler experience, as well as doubling capacity of the TSA security checkpoint. The MMP is scheduled to be completed next year, and is already earning accolades for its enhanced concessions.
‘In fact, just last week, Midway was recognized by Value Penguin as having some of the shortest waiting lines in its U.S. Customs area.’
AMERICA’S BEST AND WORST AIRPORTS
1. San Diego International Airport
2. Phoenix Sky Harbor International
3. Portland (Oregon) International Airport
4. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
5. Sacramento International Airport
6. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
7. San Francisco International Airport
8. Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport
9. Indianapolis International Airport
10. John Wayne Airport, Orange County, California
11. Dallas Fort Worth International Airport
12. Miami International Airport
13. Charlotte Douglas International Airport
14. Austin Bergstrom International Airport
15. St Louis Lambert International Airport
16. Los Angeles International Airport
17. George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston
18. Philadelphia International Airport
19. Washington Dulles International Airport
20. Salt Lake City International Airport
21. Nashville International Airport
22. John F Kennedy International Airport, New York
23. McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas
24. Tampa International Airport
25. Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
26. Honolulu International Airport
27. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
28. Minneapolis- Saint Paul International Airport
29. Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
30. O’Hare International Airport, Chicago
31. Denver International Airport
32. Boston Logan International Airport
33. San Antonio International Airport
34. Newark Liberty International Airport
35. Pittsburgh International Airport
36. John Glenn Columbus International Airport
37. Dallas Love Field International Airport
38. Oakland International Airport
39. Raleigh Durham International Airport
40. Kansas City International Airport
41. Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, Puerto Rico
42. William P. Hobby Airport, Houston
43. Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
44. Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
45. LaGuardia Airport, New York
46. South West Florida International Airport
47. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
48. Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
49. Orlando International Airport
50. Chicago Midway International Airport
Source: The Points Guy