Xenophobic attacks in South Africa unacceptable —Twitter Users

0 0
Read Time4 Minute, 59 Second

Twitter users have condemned the attacks on foreign-owned businesses and properties in South Africa by her citizens.

Fresh violence broke out in the Jeppestown area of Johannesburg on Sunday, which has left three persons dead and one person in the hospital being treated for smoke inhalation.

According to the President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo, a group of violent South Africans attacked shops located on Jules Street, where they looted and burnt shops and other businesses.

He said, “Late in the evening of Sunday, September 1, a group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers besieged Jules Street in Malvern, Johannesburg looted and burned shops/businesses.’’

Olubajo said that information gathered by members of NUSA in Malvern area indicated that over 50 shops/businesses were destroyed, looted and burnt overnight.

“Also, some businesses owned by foreign nationals were looted in Germiston on Sunday evening. A Nigerian-owned Internet Café and computer accessories business was among the looted shops in Germiston.

READ ALSO: Xenophobia: AU intervention may be crucial —Dabiri-Erewa

“When I got the sad news late yesterday (Sunday) evening, I immediately informed the Police in Jeppestown but lots of damage had been done already.”

Last week, Nigerian-owned businesses were attacked and burnt in Pretoria, after the death of a taxi driver at the hands of an alleged drug peddler.

Condemnation from social media users has trailed the latest attacks, however, South Africans are also expressing their frustrations with the activities of foreigners in their country.

See tweets:

DOWNLOAD THE PUNCH NEWS APP NOW ON